Sunday, June 10, 2012

Diet Coke Freedom

Today's Workout:  3.48 miles in the heat
I wasn't watching the time or the mileage.  I just decided at some point to head back home and call it quits.  The heat and the sun were just too much.  I knew I should have gone to the gym today instead!  I hate summer!

Today also marks 5 months clean from Diet Coke (or any soda).  If it is possible to be addicted to diet soda, then I think I was.  I might as well have just injected it straight into my bloodstream everyday.  I always drank a lot of water (so I justified the diet coke), but I drank a ton of diet coke. 

One day, I decided to eliminate it once and for all back in January.

Why?

Is it really turning to formaldehyde in our bodies and making us all die slow tragic deaths?  I don't know.  Maybe.
Is it giving us cancer?  I don't know.  Maybe.
Is it making us fat?  I don't know.  Maybe.
There actually is quite a bit of convincing research that states diet sodas do prohibit weight loss by tricking your body into thinking it has had suger and yada yada yada.

But I do know that there is nothing natural about it.

I do know that it is just a bunch of chemicals, and that can't be good for anyone.

There are those who say I've just replaced my diet coke addiction with coffee.  Yes and no.  I only drink coffee in the mornings, not all day like I did diet coke.  I don't put ANYTHING in my coffee...no artificial sweeteners that are in diet coke.  No chemicals.  No calories.  And studies show a little caffeine is actually beneficial.  Coffee is also naturally grown, so it's GOT to be a better choice, right?!

I'm sure a diet of 100% water all day would be ideal....and maybe one day I will get there, but for now, I'm still proud that I've managed to conquer diet coke!  That alone was a very large battle for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment