Monday, April 30, 2012

Oatmeal Protein Pancakes

I don't necessarily plan on making this blog all about food....I swear!  That being said, I am a fan of trying new healthy recipes, so I figure I might as well share any that I find appealing!

Check out this Chocolate Cookie recipe.  These are made almost weekly in my house.  They aren't your normal cookie, but my husband, 3 year old and I all enjoy them! 

This morning, I made protein-rich pancakes.  As stated before, I'm reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women (we'll call it NROLFW from now on).  It's really big on protein and many of the recipes add whey protein (do your research before buying...don't waste your money on fillers....spend extra and get a good quality protein).  I've just started using whey protein powder this weekend, so I can't really say much about it yet.

So....back to the "pancakes".

They were different.  Not exactly pancake-like consistency...more like an egg....as well, there was more egg in this than anything else.  I tweaked the recipe a bit and added a few mini-chocolate chips (I don't use syrup...so I thought they might need something sweet).

The batter is pretty runny.....again, it's mainly egg white.


Finished product.

They kind of look like pancakes.


Would I make them again?  Probably
Would I serve them to guests?  Probably not.

If you go into it knowing they aren't the consistency of pancakes and aren't going to taste exactly like pancakes, then I think it's safe to give them a try.  They are certaintly better for you than regular pancakes...even with the added chocolate!!!


FYI - this was a lot of food.  I made 3 pancakes out of this recipe.  I ate 2 for breakfast and the 3rd for my mid-morning snack.

Recipe Stats:  355 calories, 39 g protein, 43 g carbs (5 g fiber), 3 g fat (1 g sat)

Oatmeal Protein Pancakes

This pancake recipe comes from Cassandra Forsythe, a nutrition educator and weight-loss coach. Loaded with protein and fiber, these pancakes pack a powerful punch.

Mix together:
4 large egg whites
1/4 cup of old-fashioned oats
2 tbsp. whole-wheat pancake mix
2 tbsp. vanilla whey-protein powder
half a banana 
dash of both cinnamon

Pour the mixture onto a hot skillet and cook as you do regular pancakes. Finish it with a little sugar-free syrup or sugar-free applesauce.

Feel free to share any good healthy recipes you have!  Particularly ones high in protein and lower in sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment