Thursday, April 26, 2012

Drinking My Veggies

A Little Background....

***2nd Update - My entire family (husband, daughter, mother, mother-in-law)....we're all drinking these on a regular basis.  If I can get my picky 3 year old to ASK me to make her one...and if I can get my husband who refuses to eat both fruit and spinach to also drink it....I'm telling you, it's good!  It thrills my soul to be able to get my spinach in first thing in the morning!!!

****UPDATE - I had a brave friend give this a try.  She called me this morning and said it was really good, and she really enjoyed it.  See?  I'm not crazy afterall.  Go ahead guys.....add a little spinach to your morning smoothies!

1.   I just recently (as in the past week) started working from home full time.  One of the things I was excited about was the ability to make smoothies for breakfast....something I could never do in the past because I left my house at 4:45am....and let's be honest...that's just way to early to be pulling out the blender!

2.   I'm also in the process of reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women".  I just started the nutrition section, and so far, I know that the author really advocates carbs/protein shakes after a weight training session.  He says it's vital.

3.  While I have NO trouble getting in my daily fruit, I lack in the vegetable category.  It's not even that I don't like veggies....I just don't eat them much.  Yet another reason to introduce this green concoction....and spinach is just SO good for you.


This was my post-workout breakfast the past two days.  I'll admit.  I was scared to try it at first, but I promise you, it's yummy.  You don't taste the spinach at all!

Ingredients
1 frozen banana (slice it, then freeze it)
1 T peanut butter (I used a little more...yummy)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (only 45 cals...but you can use whatever milk you want)
1/2 cup non-fat vanilla greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
fresh spinach (I'd guess I used 2-4 cups...just fill the blender)



Approx 350 calories
12 g fat (only 1 saturated)
23 sugars (banana & yogurt)
18 g protein
172% Vitamin A (something I usually lack)
55% Vitamin C
66% Calcium
22% Iron



And Y U M M Y

Promise!

I will definitely be making these 2-3 times/week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment