Wednesday, June 6, 2012

To run....or not to run

It's a holiday!

What? You didn't know?

It's National Running Day!
(I wouldn't have known either except that I'm a fan of The Cowtown Marathon page and they've been posting about a celebratory run this morning for the past week or so!)



To celebrate, I ran 4.7 miserable miles on the treadmill (at a slower pace than normal...I averaged about 10:30/mile today). They were tough miles today.  I fought and fought my way thru it.  But....I'm so happy I did!  I feel better now for sure! 



I've taken it upon myself to give you a few inspirational running pics.

You're welcome! :)






I honestly don't expect everyone to run!  I understand why people don't want to or THINK they can't!  But most of us are capable. 

A year ago I "couldn't" run a mile...and to be honest, I didn't want to. I had ZERO desire to run.

I worked out.  I worked out a lot.  And I worked out hard with awesome instructors and trainers that pushed me beyond what I thought I could do (miss you Janna!).  But run?  NO WAY. 

This past December, we did a pyramid contest in our gym.  Everyday you added one exercise to the one you did before.  Well, I was doing the advanced level on all exercises.  The first exercise was to run 1/2 mile (each level had 1/2 mile, but the advanced level had to run it instead of walking or jogging).  Every day, that 1/2 mile at a run instead of a slow jog was my most dreaded part of the workout....not the boy pushups, not the dips, not the step ups, not the jumping lunges....it was that little HALF MILE!

But I did it.  And every day, I got stronger.

All of that to say....now, I consistently run 4-6 miles at a time.  Six months ago, I didn't want to run 1/2 mile.   And you know what?  I think I even like it now!!! *gasp* 

When you run, you go into this zone where your mind can wander....sometimes I let it wander, sometimes I pray, sometimes I just listen and sing (in my head...you're welcome again)....and sometimes I can't get into that zone and I fight my way thru the entire run, like today.  It's just my time.  I also love it because it's an easy way to set measureable goals!

If I can do it, so can you...if you want to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment