Friday, June 8, 2012

Paranoia? Self doubt?

Today's Workout:  I warmed up on the treadmill with HIIT.

I finished off with about 40 min of weight training/abs/stretching.

If you are a member of a gym, then you know there are plenty of people that go and put in their time, but they don't necessarily put forth the effort that is truly required to make a change.

I can't tell you the number of people I see leaving the gym who barely break a sweat, if they broke one at all.  Or the people who leisurely walk or ride a stationary bike while reading their favorite novel.  Of course, there are instances where this is appropriate.  Maybe you're recovering from an injury or a surgery, but for me, if I'm not dripping sweat when I leave, then I don't feel like the "workout" was worth it.  In my opinion, if I go and burn 125 calories in a 30 minute leisurely bike ride, well, I'd just assume stay home.  Harsh?  Maybe.  But I think in general, people just don't push themselves hard enough.  I can't figure out why.  I dont' know if it's self-doubt or what, but for me, I get a lot of satisfaction from knowing I pushed as hard as I could push and did the best I could do.

I've seen the owner of my gym watching me on more than one occasion (or the man I've at least deemed as the owner...someone has given me his description, and I think this guy fits the bill)...he has a very serious demeanor....a big, serious guy.  It makes me paranoid....like he must be thinking "she doesn't belong here"....or "she's totally doing that wrong".  Well, this morning, he came up to me and asked me my name.  I was thinking "Oh, no, what'd I do?".  I told him my name, and he high-fived me and said "Good job Tessa.  I like seeing someone working hard.  Keep it up".  Guess he is tired of seeing people reading their magazines too.

That made my day. 

Maybe I'm NOT doing it all wrong after all!  Lol.

Funny how we can doubt ourselves when we really have no reason to.  I've been working out now for a couple of years.  I'm not really clueless.  I know I'm queen of doubt and need to work on that!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Only a few more days until we go to the beach....and I'm afraid my body looks just like it did six weeks ago! Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment