Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Spaghetti Squash

Today's workout:  BodyPump
(1 hour, around 500 calories burned)

It's been nice eating healthy the last couple of days.

I've had very healthy and fresh lunches.


I told you yesterday I was going to try out spaghetti squash for dinner.


I wanted to try something different but decided it would be best to stick to a traditional meat sauce in order to even get my husband to try it.


When I served it, he said "Oh, huh....those aren't noodles.  Is this suppose to be like your cauliflower mashed potatoes?".

The verdict:  This is a keeper!

I cooked the spaghetti squash whole at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes (poke holes in it so it doesn't explode).  Then you cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, get a fork and tear out the squash.  The "noodles" were a little on the crunchy side.  I think another 5-10 minutes in the oven would have been better.
 
Jason said he'd eat it again.  He just said "it's different".  They really didn't taste much.  It was much more filling than I expected it to be as well. 

We will most definitely be having spaghetti squash again!  We will probably still eat whole wheat pasta on occassion...but I'll substitute this often for sure!



Fewer calories and WAY fewer carbs....go ahead, give it a try!

SERVING SIZE: 1 cup (cooked)

TRADITIONAL PASTA
Calories 300
Sodium 183 mg Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg Total Carbs 43 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g Sugars 1 g Protein 8 g Cholesterol 0 mg

WHEAT PASTA
Calories 174
Sodium 4 mg Total Fat 1 g Potassium 62 mg Total Carbs 37 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g Sugars 1 g Protein 7 g Cholesterol 0 mg

SPAGHETTI SQUASH
Calories 42
Sodium 28 mg Total Fat 0 g Potassium 181 mg
Total Carbs 10 g Dietary Fiber 2 g Sugars 4 g Protein 1 g Cholesterol 0 mg






No comments:

Post a Comment