Tuesday, May 15, 2012

PW's Healthier Green Beans

First things first:  after yesterday's 6 miles, I took it a little easier today.  I did about 25 minutes of high intensity interval training on the treadmill, then about 30 minutes of strength training.

Now, on to food.... :)

My husband has always told me that he hates fresh green beans.

So for the first time in our marriage (6 years), I decided to buy some anyway.  I just knew I wanted a way to fix them that he would like.  Not just steamed and plain.

Enter: Google.  Enter:  Pioneer Woman. 
Everything she makes is awesome, so I decided to give it a try.

Here's the original recipe.  I made a slightly healthier version.

Let me start by saying I am NOT a fan of onions....at all, but I do enjoy the occassional onion ring.  We used to saute mushrooms & onions in college and I always enjoyed that as well.  When/if I eat onions, I need them to be mush....just basically non-existent. 

I made quite a few changes to Pioneer Woman's recipe, but it was the basis for mine.

My ingredients:
(that's an onion, 2 pieces turkey bacon, "butter", EVOO & fresh beans)

No fancy Napa Valley olive oil at my house.  Just the cheap stuff!  Super cheap stuff at that!


Oh, and low sodium chicken broth.


I used 1 T olive oil and about 1/2 T of the butter (it's not really butter.  It's made with olive oil)


I threw in the bacon and onions and sauted until they began to slightly carmelize
(the first time I made this, we used red onion.  I think it was better than the yellow onion)


Then you throw in the green beans and 1 cup of the chicken broth.

Salt and generously pepper.

Cover it - but not all the way.  Let the steam escape the side.

Cook for about 30 minutes or so.  All of the broth should be gone.

And you're left with this.


Ok, so they aren't the prettiest beans in the world, but they taste good!

As I made them, I calculated about 150-175 calories for a decent size serving.

Probably not something we should eat every night, but it is a new side we'll be having on occassion this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment