Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Goals & Maintenance

Today's Workout:  20 minutes HIIT, then 40 min weight training
Yesterday's Workout:  5.2 treadmill miles

I think I said I was shooting for 80 miles in June.....wow, did I really fall short of that goal!  The fact that I was out of town for 6 days and without a treadmill didn't help.  Even if I hadn't been on vacation, I am sure I would have still fallen short!  So I'm going to have to re-think this month's mileage goal.  I think I'll just try to increase last month's....even if it's just by 5-10 miles and I'll work for more lofty goals when this dreadful Texas heat subsides!

I did end up getting in 14 runs and 8 cross-training workouts in June. That's a total of 22 workouts.  Not bad.  This month, I'm just keeping track of my mileage.  Trying to keep up with the other stuff is too much...and really kind of pointless.  :)

I was talking to my husband last night about wanting to get rid of my final pounds....I've always heard those last 10-15 are the hardest.  For me, I'm sure I could lose it if I set my mind to it.  I think it's the hardest because you are somewhat comfortable and the sense of urgency to lose it has deminished.  For instance, when you still have 50 pounds to lose, you know you have to keep pushing forward as hard as possible or else you would never get there.  When you are only left with 10, it's like "oh, I'll lose it soon enough...".

In reality, I'm in maintenance mode.  I have been for the past few months.  Probably why the scale has stayed exactly the same!  I weigh myself (almost daily).  If I notice a couple of pounds increase, I usually blame it on water weight, I watch sodium for a couple of days and increase my water intake, and then I'll be right back where I was.  I really have no doubt that I will be able to maintain the majority of the weight I've lost.  So far, it seems pretty easy for me to maintain.  And I'm not depriving myself.  If I want something, I have it, but I don't go overboard.  The vast majority of the time, I don't even WANT to eat the stuff I used to eat.  People say they don't want to be deprived.  I've said it before and I'll say it again....once you stop putting crap in your body, you stop craving it!  I still crave sweets on occassion, but I rarely, if ever, crave anything fast food.....and believe me when I say I used to eat my fair share of Sonic and Whataburger!

Moderation. 

It's how I lost 60 pounds and it's how I plan to keep it off, but I'm not sure moderation is going to work for my last few pounds.  I have a feeling it is going to require more commitment than I've ever had to have before....and to be honest, I'm just not sure I'm ready for it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment