Thursday, July 5, 2012

Learning to eat new things

Today's Workout:  3.3 outdoor miles

I woke up yesterday fairly sore from my previous day's strength workout.  I knew I should probably go run and just work it out, but we had to be somewhere at 9am and I just didn't have time.  So I thought I might make it to the gym later...and well, that didn't happen either.  Since it was the 4th of July, I decided mid-day that I'd just let it be my rest day this week.  As the day progressed, my legs became increasingly sore.  By the time I went to bed last night, I could barely sit without grunting with pain.  I'm still sore today,  but I went ahead, sucked it up and went for an early morning run anyway.


Food Co-Op Update
I got this as my basket last weekend:
The regular basket ($15) consisted of grapes, bananas, canteloupe, mangos, butternut squash, grape tomatoes, celery, onions, cherries, lettuce.

I did the Mexican veggie add-on for $10 (I think), which included avocados, zucchini, green onions, bell peppers (yuck), more onions, jalepeno peppers, cilantro, poblano peppers, garlic, some long green peppers that I'm not sure we ever identified....and maybe some other stuff...it's been a few days, so I've forgotten!

Anyway, I'm so happy with everything!  I love how the majority of it is "normal" stuff, but there is always a few things that I've never had before.  It's forcing us to try new things.

I've learned that I'm not an enourmous fan of butternut squash.  It was "ok".  Tasted a lot like a sweet potato, and I'm not so much a fan of those either.

We tried this recipe for the poblano peppers.  Neither of us had ever ordered a chile rellano at Mexican restaurant, so we had no idea whether or not we would like it.

Turns out, this was pretty tasty!  I made a few changes to the recipe (omitted the mushrooms & salt, added chili powder, cumin, black pepper, used low fat cheese...and probably too much of it!).  I used fresh tomatoes in the stuffing, but several reviews said they used Rotel or canned diced tomatoes. I also served it on top of cilantro lime brown rice.  Would definitely make this again!




I find myself reaching for fruit for snacks because I hate to let all of this produce go to waste.  Jason has even started to eat a little fruit, which is a miracle.

One thing I always do when I have a lot of produce is to take the time to wash it all and prep it before sticking it in the fridge.  That way, it's ready when I am and I won't be tempted to grab some processed snack instead!

I like to fill the sink with a water/vinegar mix (obviously make sure your sink is clean first!), let my fruit sit for a while, then wash it off, dry it and it's ready to eat whenever!

The ice is added because it's so stinking hot in Texas that the cold water isn't even really what I consider to be cold anymore!  The pipes are too hot and we seem to only get warm water, so I add ice and make my own cold water.

Washing berries in vinegar is suppose to help them stay fresh longer too....not sure if it's true, but might as well try it!


If you do not have a salad spinner, I highly recommend purchasing one.  I finally bought a more expensive one from Pampered Chef, as I'd gone thru 2 cheaper ones in the past 6 years.  I'm hoping this one holds up better!  I not only use it to get the water off my lettuces, but also for fruit and berries. 



So, if this post were to have any points (and I'm not sure it does)....
1.  Wash fruits/veggies before storing to have ready-to-go snacks
2.  Buy a salad spinner to save hours drying with paper towels, which in return, saves our planet

Life-changing stuff right there.



No comments:

Post a Comment